24 November 2012

Talking Turkey

I have been trying to come up with bulk-cook meals out of the items we already have in the house. So far, I am kicking butt!

With Thanksgiving over, I picked that carcass CLEAN. The "ugly meat" (you know, the pieces that are fine to eat, but not something you want to look at on your plate) will be used in soups and pot pies.

A batch of broth was made and I'll bag most of it as is, to use as soup bases. A few I will make in to a gravy for pot pie filling, along with the turkey and veggies.

I made an open turkey pie for lunch today. They are GREAT ways to stretch the heck out of something, and the filling was made out of less than what a normal dinner would use. 

Frugal Domestic Goddess Turkey Pie
Crust (it's not a roll out crust, more of a squishy play-dough)
1 cup biscuit pre-made mix (Bisquick copycat)
1/2 cup corn grits (cornmeal)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup butter
~ Mix together and press in to pie pan - reserve some for topping

Filling
Whatever you have on hand, mixed with gravy
-- I used 1/4 cup mixed veggies, 1/4 cup stuffing, 1/4 cup smashed potatoes, 1/4 cup cut up turkey, 1 cup gravy

Put filling in to pie crust. Flatten out the remaining crust and use to decorate the top.

350 for 25 minutes.

No comments: