09 January 2012

Staggering Around

You may want to brace yourself... are you sitting? Okay, good. I am making something for myself. I was digging through Yarn Mountain last night and put my hands on a beautiful purple. It was originally going to be made in to a hat & scarf gift for Diva's cousin. The more I looked at that yarn, the more I ran my fingers down the soft fiber, the more I was convinced - it's meant for ME.

I grabbed the "yarn bowl" out of the cabinet and some off-white and the newly claimed purple, along with US13 needles. I have seen the fancy yarn bowls, and if I was using expensive yarn on a daily basis, it may be something I would consider spending $40+ on... but then again, if I was buying expensive yarn, who would have the money for a bowl with a hole in it. I also have a "yarn cup" that I use for my kitchen cotton (don't tell it that it's just a recycled peanut butter jar, it feels important).

Now... what to make with it. I wanted something useful. If I am going to make something for myself, it needs to be useful. At first, I thought about a hat. It's winter, hats are useful. I then thought about mittens. I decided on a scarf. Not just any scarf mind you, since it will be purple & off-white, I wanted something a little fancier than a garter or rib.

I was walking in to the kitchen when it hit me. Well, to be honest, I tripped. That little moment made me remember I had a pattern on Pinterest that would work. Staggered Rib! It's subtle, but *I* know it's there. I started it this morning and ignore the craptastic resolution of my camera (I plan on getting a new one for my birthday in a few weeks).

I am hoping to have it finished by Thursday... hey, I have other things to do than knitting you know. I just heard the weather, something about a nor'easter hitting by the end of the week!

No comments: